Lake County, Florida, a political subdivision of the State of Florida (Lake County), provides its web site for your convenience as a public service. By using the information, services and products available through this web site, you agree to be bound by all of Lake County’s terms and conditions of use as set forth in this PPTOU.
The terms and conditions set forth in the PPTOU may be updated from time to time without notice to you. It is your responsibility to review it from time to time to be aware of any such change. Your continued use of this service will indicate your agreement to any such change.
Please note that Lake County is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of web sites whose contents are not controlled by Lake County, whether Lake County links to them as outside sites or not.
Public Records - Email Addresses
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to Lake County. Instead contact Lake County by phone or in writing.
Collection of Personal Information
When you engage in activities on Lake County’s websites, you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself by filling out and submitting an online form. It is completely optional for you to engage in these activities.
Depending upon the activity, some of the information that we ask you to provide is identified as mandatory and some as voluntary. If you do not provide the mandatory data with respect to a particular activity, you will not be able to engage in that activity online. Instead, you will need to use a non-web option for that matter.
How Your Personal Information is Used
Lake County may collect your information in order to record and support your participation in the activities you select. For example, information you provide to Lake County may be used to help you obtain building permits or inspection requests.
Information that you provide may also be used by Lake County as part of our efforts to keep vendors informed about standards, requirements or service changes, or other services of Lake County. All information collected will be shared to individuals or entities only as required or allowed by state or federal law.
Protection of Your Personal Information
Lake County recognizes and appreciates the importance of responsible use of information collected on its websites. Information may be saved for a designated period of time in order to comply with the State of Florida’s archiving policies.
If you have registered with Lake County, or subscribed to alerts or newsletters, you may unsubscribe or opt out of receiving future communications at any time.
When you visit Lake County’s websites, you may surf the site anonymously and access information without revealing your identity. In order to improve our site, we may use “cookies” to assist your visit. A cookie is small amount of data that is transferred to your browser by a web server that can only be read by the server that gave it to you. It can function as your identification card, recording your passwords, purchases, and preferences. However, it cannot be executed as code or deliver viruses.
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it.
When registering to use a “Members Only” feature, it is solely your responsibility to keep your private account information, such as username and password secure. You must not disclose your private account information to anyone except other authorized persons.
You are entirely liable for all activities conducted through your account. You agree to immediately notify Lake County of any unauthorized use of your account or any breach of security.
Lake County will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or in an unsolicited e-mail. Also remember to sign out of your account and close your browser window whenever you have finished.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Data transmission over the Internet is not guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, Lake County cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us or received from our online products or services.
You are responsible for all charges associated with connecting to the Internet. You agree that any telephone or other communications fees and charges incurred are your sole responsibility. The access number you use may not be a local phone call (even though it may be in the same area code as your phone number) and you may be subject to long distance fees or other charges. We advise you to check the local telephone service to verify whether your access number is a local charge and if additional communication fees may apply.
As a user of Lake County’s websites, you agree to use any of its services only for its lawful, intended purposes. Use of any services for transmission, distribution, retrieval, or storage of any information, data, or other material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. You also agree not to use any service to:
- Provide false information or to impersonate someone else;
- Distribute computer viruses, worms, or any software intended to damage or alter a computer system; or
- Violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
System and Network Security
Violations of system or network security of the service are prohibited, and may subject you to criminal and civil liability. Lake County may investigate potential security violations, and may notify applicable law enforcement agencies if violations are suspected.
You may not attempt to circumvent the authentication procedures or security of any host, network, network component, or account to access data, accounts, or systems that you are not expressly permitted to access. You may not interfere or attempt to interfere with service to any other user.
Standard text messaging rates may apply if you choose to receive tweets or other notifications through text messaging on your cell phone. Lake County is not responsible for any such charges.
Lake County’s official Facebook page is www.facebook.com/LakeCountyFLBCC
Other official pages managed by Lake County include:
Additionally, the official Twitter accounts for Lake County include:
Additionally, the official Instagram accounts for Lake County include:
Additionally, the official YouTube accounts for Lake County include:
People who follow or “like” these pages may expect regular posts covering some or all of the following:
- News releases and links to stories about Lake County
- Information about special events and upcoming meetings
- Alerts, announcements and time-sensitive updates
- Shared content from organizations that partner with Lake County, offer resources for the convenience of users, or that may be of interest to our followers
- Job postings and vendor bid announcements
Comments on Forums or Social Media
Lake County web sites, including any social media pages, may contain threaded discussions, chat rooms, listservs and other communication forums. These limited public forums are provided to allow members of the public to share ideas and information pertaining to certain issues affecting Lake County. While Lake County encourages users to interact with Lake County through these limited public forums on the specific issues presented, Lake County expects members to affirm that they will interact in an appropriate manner as set forth below. Lake County does not agree with or endorse every comment that users may post on any of its websites.
Users agree to use Lake County’s web sites at their own risk. Lake County cannot and does not guarantee that violations of the above will not occur, and Lake County cannot verify or confirm the accuracy of any comments posted by any user. Lake County is not responsible for violations of the above or for any inaccurate information posted by any user.
Use of certain communication forums may be for a particular timeframe. Once the particular discussion is deemed closed by Lake County, the forum may be closed and archived by Lake County.
Users who are subject to the Sunshine Law, Section 286.011, Florida Statutes, must abide by the restrictions and obligations of such law.
By participating in any of these forums, users agree to send and receive messages that are both proper and related to the forum topic. The following types of comments are unacceptable, and users posting such comments may have their comments deleted and may be blocked from use of the web site or social media page:
- Content that is not directly related to Lake County;
- Obscene or profane language or content;
- Defamatory content;
- Content that is confidential, such as personal health, mental health, or substance abuse information;
- Content that is discriminatory under applicable law;
- Sexually explicit content or links to sexually explicit content;
- Solicitations of commerce;
- Conduct, threats, or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Content that may compromise the safety or security of the public;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest, such as a copyright or trademark, of any person or entity;
- Content that introduces viruses, corrupted files or any other similar software or programs that may damage, alter or destroy Lake County’s web sites or the operation of another’s computer system, network, software, program, documentation or data; or
- Content posted for the purpose of devising or executing any scheme or artifice to defraud; obtaining money property or services by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations or promises; or committing theft, including but not limited to theft of proprietary information.
If a user is blocked, Lake County will send a notification to the user’s account that was used to post the applicable comments. The notification will inform the user of the below appeal procedure.
- No later than ten days from the receipt of a notice, a person may file an appeal of the blocking of the user. The appeal must include the person’s name, address, and phone number. No fee will be charged for filing the appeal.
- The appeal must be filed with the County Attorney’s Office. The appeal may be filed in person at 315 West Main Street, Suite 335, Tavares, Florida 32778, or by mail at P.O. Box 7800, Tavares, Florida, 32778.
- Appeals will be considered by the County Manager or designee.
- No later than sixty days after receipt of an appeal, the County Manager or designee shall issue a written decision on the appeal which shall be mailed to the appellant at the address provided.
- Upon the receipt of the written decision of the County Manager or designee, the appellant will be deemed to have exhausted all administrative remedies.
- The blocking will remain in effect during the appeal and review process, including any judicial review.
If you violate any of the terms contained in this PPTOU, Lake County may suspend or terminate, either temporarily or permanently, any or all services provided. Users who violate terms contained in this PPTOU may additionally incur criminal and civil liability. Lake County may refer violators to civil or criminal authorities for prosecution.
You agree to indemnify and hold Lake County and its commissioners, officers, employees and agents harmless from any claim, liability, loss, expense or demand, including attorneys’ fees, related to your violation of the terms and conditions or the use of the services and information provided at any of Lake County’s web sites.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will Lake County, its suppliers, its service providers, or other third party affiliates be liable for any damages whatsoever including but not limited to:
- Direct, indirect, incidental punitive and consequential damages arising out of the use, inability to use, or the results of use of any service;
- Any web sites linked to the service, the materials or information contained at any or all such sites;
- Content anywhere on the internet, whether based on warranty, contract, tort or any other legal theory;
- Including without limitation those damages resulting from lost profits, lost data or business interruption;
- Aggregate liability of Lake County or any of its suppliers, service providers, or third party affiliates.
In no event will Lake County be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special and exemplary damages, or any damages whatsoever, arising from the use or performance of any of its web sites or from any information, services, or products provided through this web site, even if Lake County government has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
If you are dissatisfied with any of Lake County’s web sites, or any portion of its web sites, your exclusive remedy will be to stop using the web site.
Subject to any appeal procedures in this PPTOU, Lake County may restrict access of any user of any of its services and may at any time in its sole discretion with notice and with or without cause immediately deny access to a service and may remove all account information in compliance with any public records requirements.
Disclaimer of Warranties
Any of its web service is provided by Lake County on an as-is basis. Neither Lake County nor its employees, agents, commissioners, partners, providers, or affiliates make any representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the service, its contents, or any information made available by or through any service regarding the completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information.
Lake County disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or any infringement. Furthermore, Lake County does not warrant that use of the service will not be interrupted, available at any time or from any location, secured and error-free. Corrected defects are not warrantable and the service is not guaranteed free of viruses or other harmful components.
Maps with Driving Directions
Maps with driving directions are using the external mapping web sites directional and map information that has no connection with Lake County GIS mapping data. Therefore, Lake County will not be held responsible for invalid displaying of maps with or without directional information from external mapping web sites.
This PPTOU will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida. You also consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts in Lake County, Florida.
If any provision of the PPTOU is found to be contrary to law, then such provision will be construed, as nearly as possible, to reflect the intentions of the parties with the other provisions remaining in full force and effect.
Lake County’s failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the PPTOU will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision unless acknowledged and agreed to by Lake County in writing.
The section titles in this PPTOU are solely used for the convenience of the parties and have no legal or contractual significance.
These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and Lake County with respect to the use of any of its web sites and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous oral or written agreements. You may not assign this PPTOU to any other party.