The Spay/Neuter Rebate program helps full-time Lake County residents with the costs of spaying or neutering their pets.
The program allows full-time residents to bring their pet to their licensed veterinary practitioner to receive the procedure, then complete an application that provides up to a $50 rebate to the pet owner. Applications can be submitted online along with supporting documentation. For more information about the program, contact Lake County at 352-343-9688.
- In order to be eligible for rebates, the applicant must be the pet owner and a full-time resident of Lake County. Organizations are not eligible for spay/neuter rebates.
- Rebates will only be considered for procedures done after the funding is approved by the Board of County Commissioners on October 1 of each year.
- The Lake County Spay/Neuter Rebate Program is a funding-limited program that issues rebates on a first-come, first-served basis. Rebates will be issued to eligible applicants while funding lasts.
- Incomplete applications or lack of required documentation will result in denial of rebate.
- Rebate application forms must be post-marked or delivered within 60 calendar days of having the procedure performed.
- Rebates will be issued by check only. Allow 30 calendar days for processing.
- Rebates will only be issued for spay/neuter procedures performed on cats/kittens or dogs/puppies.
- All rebate-eligible spay/neuter procedures are required to be performed by a licensed veterinary practitioner.
- Rebates will be issued up to a $50 maximum per animal. Only the cost of the spay/neuter procedure is eligible for the rebate.
- Rebates are limited to 12 pets per household per fiscal year (October 1 through September 30).
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the start date of the program?
Rebates can be issued for procedures taking place after October 1 of each year until funds are exhausted. Program funding is subject to approval by the Board of County Commissioners each year.
Do I have to be a full-time resident of Lake County to get a rebate?
What types of animals are eligible for the rebate?
Dogs, puppies, cats and kittens.
What is the maximum number of dogs/cats that I can get a rebate for?
There is a maximum of 12 pets per household per fiscal year. Multiple forms can be submitted if necessary.
Do I have to use a Lake County Licensed Veterinary Practitioner to perform the spay/neuter on my pet?
You do not need to use a veterinarian that is in Lake County, but the veterinarian that performs the procedure must be a licensed veterinary practitioner in Florida.
How much money is being used for this program?
The Lake County Board of County Commissioners is issuing a maximum rebate for up to $50 per pet while funding is available. The county dedicated $50,000 to fund the rebate program this year.
Where is the funding coming from for the program?
Funding for the program is provided by donations and past fines collected. No property taxes are being used for this program.
What if I don’t have a copy of my veterinarian bill that shows the spay/neuter was performed?
A copy of the invoice, or a letter on your veterinarian’s letterhead that states that the procedure was performed, the date the procedure was performed, the animal’s name and the cost of the procedure must be submitted to be eligible for the rebate.
After the spay/neuter procedure is completed, how long do I have to submit my rebate application?
You have 60 days from the date of surgery to submit the application.
What proof of residency can be used to verify I am a full-time Lake County resident?
A copy of a Florida driver’s license or state ID, voter registration, or property tax bill with homestead exemption. The document must show the applicant's name and physical address.
How can I submit my application?
Rebate applications and documentation can be submitted electronically by email to [email protected], uploaded online at www.lakecountyfl.gov/rebate, mailed by U.S. mail to: Lake County Spay/Neuter Rebate Program, P.O. Box 7800, Tavares, FL 32778-7800, or hand-delivered during normal business hours to Lake County Animal Control at 12280 County Road 448, Tavares.
Is a county pet license required for my animal in order to get my rebate check?
In May 2018, the Board of County Commissioners voted to amend Chapter Four of the Lake County Code, which includes the removal of the requirement for Lake County residents to obtain a license for pets vaccinated against rabies. Rabies vaccinations are still required by law.
How long will it take to get my rebate check?
Allow 30 days for processing from the time it is received.