Posting Number: 19-03-11-2183
Pay Grade: 10N
Minimum Salary: $8.46/hour
Lake-Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
An internship is a supervised work/learning experience that exposes a college student to professional/technical responsibilities in a career field of interest. An internship may be formalized short-term, non-continuous project assignments designed to tie into the student’s curriculum for school credit, as well as less formalized assignments that enhance education and career exposure without being tied to a curriculum requirement.) All internships require the ability to work in a demanding, changing environment and the desire to provide outstanding customer service.
Paid student interns are limited to a maximum of up to six (6) months.
This posting is for a Student Intern Position for the Lake~Sumter MPO and reports to the Executive Director Lake-Sumter MPO. THIS IS A PART-TIME LIMITED TERM POSITION.
The Lake~Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) seeks an intern to assist with a variety of transportation projects and plans, including validation of the travel demand model, preliminary planning for the Long Range Transportation Plan , and a variety of other transportation and planning-related projects as assigned.
Office hours are generally 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Occasional evening hours may be expected.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
1. Research and collect data and prepare related charts, graphs and maps related to projects using ESRI's mapping software, or other software.
2. Assist in organizing and preparing professional and technical studies and analyses.
3. Work collaboratively with MPO staff and be able to communicate with members of the public.
4. Develop accurate and appealing graphics, and be able to interpret data and communicate findings to a variety of audiences.
5. Perform other work duties as assigned.
The student must be enrolled in, or a recent graduate from, an accredited educational institution such as a university, college, or technical school.
Job requirements include:
•Excellent written and oral communication skills
•Ability to work as part of a team.
•Must exhibit a positive, energetic, and cooperative attitude with both customers and internal staff.
Education and Experience
1. Graduate student in urban planning program or related field preferred.
2. Valid state-issued driver's license is required.
1. Knowledge of statistical methods,
1. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
2. Skilled in Microsoft and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software.
3. Excellent organizational, analytical, judgement and problem solving skills.
1. Ability to work independently
Equipment, Instruments and Machines: Personal Computer, Microsoft Office, ArcMAP, audio-visual equipment
Printable Job Application
While we highly recommend that potential applicants use our online Job Application Builder, we also have a printable version of our job application available for download.
You can print this application out, fill it in and then return it by faxing or mailing to the Office of Human Resources & Risk Management. To download our printable job application please go here.
« Back to Employment Opportunities